Thursday, January 10, 2008

TT: Have you ever heard of the Stella Awards?

Ever since a jury ordered McDonald's to pay more than $2M damages to 81-year-old Stella Liebeeck after she spilt coffee and scalded herself, the annual "Stella" Award has been granted to the person who successfully brings the most ridiculous lawsuit in the US. There are already plenty to choose from this year.

Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses from a neighbor who drove his car over Truman's hand. Truman was lying on the ground, out of sight, stealing the hubcaps.

Burglar Terrence Dickson from Pennsylvania lived for eight days on Pepsi and dry dog biscuits after a faulty electric door trapped him in the garage of the home he had just robbed. The homeowner was ordered to pay $500,000 for Dickson's mental anguish.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas was awarded $14,500 after being bitten by a beagle chained in its owner's yard. Williams had climbed into the yard and was shooting the beagle with a pellet gun.

A Philadelphia restaurant had to pay $113,500 to Amber Carson after she injured herself by slipping on a can she had thrown on the floor during an argument with her boyfriend.

Kara Walton of Delaware won $12,000 and dental expenses from a nightclub after falling from a bathroom window. The accident happened as she was trying to climb through the window to avoid paying the $3.50 entrance fee.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should all be asking the judges and juries..... What were you thinking??

Anonymous said...

Don't let me be a juror on any of those cases.. sheesh.. that's just sad.

We are the land of opportunity and frivolous lawsuits. No wonder other countries make fun of us.

cindy kay said...

These people WON??

ellen b. said...

Oh these are hurting me! How twisted we can be...

Chelle Y. said...

We have too many idiots in America. I cannot believe the jury and judges let these morons win. It's cases like these that make our legal system seem like a joke, which I know is not always the case.

Anonymous said...

Is this the same list as last week's?

Hootin Anni said...

Oh that first one, the Carl Truman [or Turman] was the best. Now, THAT's a HOOT!!

My 13 is shared now.

SJ Reidhead said...

I wonder what my mother could have won after she locked herself in a bathroom stall at a truck stop in Oklahoma - and had to call me to call my father to get someone to rescue her!

SRJ
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Open Grove Claudia said...

Boy that is amazing. I wonder how all of this comes to be - and the expenses! Judges, juries time, not to mention the actual award.

Amazing!

Happy TT!
My TT is about my rules of living.

DrillerAA said...

Can we just shoot these attorney's?
I understand someone has brought a law suit for four qudrillion dollars over Hurricane Katrina. That outta tie up some time in court.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear.

Where are the other seven lawsuits though? I only see six here.

I have three TTs this week.

Raven's Rides: 13 places I went on my motorcycle yesterday
Raven's RV: 13 things we did in the RV when the power went out
Raven's Range: 13 thoughts about Thursday Thirteen

The link above has links to all three. :)

Natalie said...

People are too sue happy. Geez!